Konuyu Oyla:
  • Toplam: 0 Oy - Ortalama: 0
However, Haley said it’s exciting to be in position to get one of them.
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — John Mara hears the cries to change the NFL’s replay system. He doesn’t think it has the votes.After the New York Giants owner emerged from the competition committee’s annual meeting in Indianapolis Qadree Ollison Jersey , Mara told a handful of reporters he doesn’t anticipate significant changes coming to the system, which returned to the league in 1999.“I just don’t sense a lot of support to use replay to call penalties. I don’t sense a lot of support for the expansion of it, either,” Mara said Tuesday. “We’re early on, so that might change, but that’s my sense of where we are right now. I’m not saying it won’t change.”Any rule change requires a 24-vote threshold to pass. Right now, committee members continue to listen to those involved. On Tuesday, it was the game officials. Later this week, it will be the coaches and general managers. At Phoenix, in March, the owners will weigh in — and they are the ones with the power to alter the rules.But no formal proposal or recommendation is on the table.Fans and many media members have vociferously expressed displeasure with the system since a blown call late in the NFC championship game — officials missed a blatant pass interference penalty and a helmet-first hit by the Rams’ Nickell Robey-Coleman deep in Los Angeles territory. The non-calls helped Los Angeles force overtime and eventually win the game to reach the Super Bowl.Mara knows all about that, too. And he also recognizes what repercussions can result from major alterations.“Are you going to look for one area or check the entire offensive line?” Mara said. “I think you get into a lot of areas with a lot of unintended consequences, and I just don’t think there is a lot of sentiment for going in that direction at this point.“We had a group of officials in there and I don’t think there was a lot of support from them about sending it upstairs or sending it to New York.”Atlanta Falcons President Rich McKay, the chairman of the competition committee Brian Burns Jersey , noted that supporters of expanding replay could seize on the tide of complaints about the NFC title game. He stressed that the committee will continue to have “healthy discussions” on the subject.McKay also said the committee is looking into the on-field celebrations that included players — or even non-players — coming from the sideline.“So there is some concern about that and it’s something I am sure we will put into the book as a reminder,” he said of limiting the number of participants in those celebrations.Feedback on the stricter rules against use of the helmet for hits on opponents has been positive, McKay said.“We certainly like the numbers that showed up, from an injury standpoint,” he said of concussions and helmet-to-helmet hits declining. “It appears the players (learned) and coaches did a good job of teaching, but there is a period of adjustment; these players didn’t play with this rule for a long, long time — meaning their entire careers.“We know there is an adjustment period for on-field officials and we went through that a lot as a committee and looked at a lot of plays. They remain confident that, just like with the defensive player (rule), they will get better at it as they look for it more, and I think we are confident we will see less of these potential fouls because the players will get comfortable with it.” Todd Haley’s dad played for the Steelers, so he grew up in a household where enemy lines were clearly defined.

”I hated the Browns,” Haley said.

Not anymore.

Article continues below ...
After six successful seasons guiding one of the NFL’s most high-powered offenses in Pittsburgh, Haley is starting anew in Cleveland with the winless Browns, a team he once reviled but always respected.

Haley was hired last month by Browns coach Hue Jackson http://www.carolinapanthersteamonline.com/greg-little-jersey , who after two seasons of handling coordinator duties, is turning over both his offense and play calling to the former Kansas City head coach. It’s another new challenge for Haley, who was dismissed by the Steelers in the ugly aftermath of their playoff loss to Jacksonville.

Haley opened his introductory news conference on Wednesday by touting a few of his accomplishments during ”six really good years” coaching stars Ben Roethlisberger, Antonio Brown and Le’Veon Bell with the Steelers, but then made it clear he has moved on.

”I’m looking forward,” he said, ”not back.”

For Haley, the Browns, coming off a historic 0-16 season, present a new challenge in a coaching career that has had other tests. Following his departure in Pittsburgh, Haley said he was attracted to the Cleveland gig because of his familiarity with Jackson, working with new general manager John Dorsey and bringing back the Browns, who are just 1-31 the past two seasons.

”I had some options, but this really appealed to me – the challenge aspect of it Will Grier Jersey ,” he said. ”I think there are pieces in place to be successful. I went out to Arizona to be a coordinator, and Arizona had not had much success.

”A lot of people thought I was crazy for leaving Dallas when I did, but man, when you are a part of turning it around and having success, playing in big games and having success in big games, there is nothing like it.

”That is what appealed to me – the challenge and the people I was going to be working alongside of.”

Haley felt the same way in Pittsburgh, almost up to the time that the Steelers chose not to renew his contract, cutting him loose three days after the AFC North champions were beaten 45-42 by the Jaguars. Haley had been criticized for several decisions in that loss, most notably two fourth down-and-short plays that the Steelers failed to convert.

There’s no second-guessing in Cleveland. At least not yet.

Haley has spent the past few weeks familiarizing himself with the Browns’ roster, which is expected to undergo some major changes this offseason through free agency and the NFL draft.

The Browns own the Nos. 1 and 4 overall picks and will likely use the first choice to select a quarterback. Haley didn’t bite when asked if he preferred USC’s Sam Darnold, UCLA’s Josh Rosen, Oklahoma’s Baker Mayfield or Wyoming’s Josh Allen, the consensus top QBs available.

However, Haley said it’s exciting to be in position to get one of them.

”When you have a couple of really high picks like we do http://www.carolinapanthersteamonline.com/christian-miller-jersey , it is a great opportunity,” he said. ”As my father always said to me, `When you are picking in the top 10, Todd, you better be right most of the time.’ That will be the challenge for everybody involved.”

Dick Haley played cornerback for the Steelers from 1961-64, and stayed in pro football after retiring as a player personnel director for Pittsburgh and the New York Jets.

Todd Haley learned at an early age about the Browns-Steelers rivalry, and for the first time he’s on the other side of it.

The enemy has changed.

”I always want to beat whoever we are playing,” he said. ”Blood is thicker than water. Everybody always asked me, we had Steelers stuff stocked up for six years, and people are amazed that when you go somewhere else, you put it in a box and see who wants it.”

Ara
Cevapla

Hızlı Menü:

Konuyu Okuyanlar: 1 Ziyaretçi